The Fw 190A-1 first flew in 1941 and quickly pushed the Bf109 aside as the main Luftwaffe fighter. It was powered by a 1,600 hp (1250kW) BMW 801C-1 engine that gave it a maximum speed of 389 mph (626 km/h), with a ceiling of 34,775 ft (11300m) and a range of 497 mi (800 km). Armament consisted of four 7.9mm machine guns.
The Fw 190A-3 was brought into production in 1942 featuring the BMW 801 A-1 engine that gave it a bit more speed, 392 mph (636 kph). Armament was uprated to two 7.9 mm machine guns and four 20 mm cannons in the wings.
The Fw 190D-9 of 1944 had a powerful 1300kW Junkers Jumo 213A-1 powerplant. This gave it a speed of 685 kph, a ceiling of 12,000 m and a range of 835 km. It was armed with 2 heavy 13mm machine guns, 2 20 mm cannons and up to 500 kg (1,100 lbs) of bombs. The Fw 190D-series used a liquid-cooled Junkers engine instead of the radial BMW, and had increased span and length. The Fw 190D was a very good high-altitude interceptor, equal to the P-51D or Spitfire XIV and without the altitude limitations of the Fw 190A. It was the stepping-stone to the Ta 152.
Canadian Aces Home Page
Images From: National Air and Space Museum. Permission requested.